Despite absolutely loving healthy, light and low-cal dishes, sometimes you just really need that treat! While some people head straight to the Sweet William or dark chocolate, I find myself in the kitchen trying to find something to satisfy that rich, creamy and savoury flavour I so dearly crave. So that is where this dish came from. I had spent the day trying to fight my way through endless statistic classes and just needed to curl up with a big bowl of deliciousness and some tea!
Now I am no stranger to this dish. I have tried numerous times to perfect it with no luck at all! Most likely because I have tried every type of mock cream out there and absolutely nothing does the trick. That’s when I decided to try ingredients that I had in my home, and voila! By no means is this dish healthy, however it rates high on my comfort food list which is sometimes more important. Hope you like it!
1 cup of fettuccine (plenty of eggless ones available)
1 tablespoon of butter (I use meadow lea dairy-free)
1 cup of button mushrooms sliced thinly
1/2 cup of peas
1/2 cup of unsweetened, unflavoured almond/soy/rice milk
2 tablespoons of dijon mustard
3-4 tablespoons of Tofutti cream cheese
1/2 teaspoon of vinegar (I use white wine)
salt and pepper to taste
1. Cook fettuccine and put aside for later use
2. Place mushrooms and butter in a pan and cook until mushrooms are soft and beginning to brown
3. Take pan off the heat and mix in half the milk, all of the cream cheese and the mustard
4. Place back on heat and study continuously adding the peas and the rest of the milk
5. Cook until thick and rich, adding more mustard/cream cheese/milk if you please!
6. place fettuccine in the pan with the sauce and mix around, coating fettuccine
7. Season and serve in a pretty bowl with some parsley on top!